Our client, a global food and beverage manufacturer is seeking a Director of Food Safety, Quality and Regulatory. This leader will be responsible for programs that cover 3 processing facilities and one laboratory and office building. These facilities are all located in the northeastern part of the United States. This individual will also be involved with the global technical team, ensuring best practices are shared across borders.
Strategy, Planning and Vision
- Develop and implement a vision for Food Safety, Quality and Regulatory.
- Lead continuous improvement efforts for FSQA team.
- Key team member in the companies ongoing initiative to create a global technical center of excellence.
- Lead budgeting process for FSQA team.
- Take a process and system-based approach to delivering objectives.
- Be an active leader within the wider Operations Leadership Team and Junior Leadership Team.
- Participate in leadership meetings and customer meetings.
- Drive efforts to reinforce food safety, quality and regulatory culture.
- Be an advocate for food safety, quality and regulatory.
- On occasion deputize for the VP Operations.
Performance Management and Governance
- Ensure KPI’s are in place and being used to drive performance of the team.
- Review current projects of the team.
- Be a communicator and advocate for the FSQR team including ensuring regular governance forums for tracking. performance against objectives, engagement and updating to the Senior Leadership Team, Group Technical team and Sales team.
- Communicate FSQR industry news and information both internally and to customers.
- Communicate and respond to USDA, FDA and other regulatory agencies.
Responsible for the complete oversight of the food safety, quality and regulatory programs:
- Development, implementation, review and maintenance of;
- Food Safety Fundamentals (Pre-requisites and SSOP’s)
- Food Safety Plan (HACCP) for all facilities
- Quality Plans delivering to customer expectations and requirements for in process and finished goods including systems and processes that are always repeatable to a consistent standard
- SQF 2000 level 2 System for all facilities
- Leadership of the Food Safety, Quality and Regulatory Team to ensure company meets SQF standards and reviews all pertinent food safety policies, procedures and documents on an annual basis. Ensures secondary SQF Practitioner is always on staff to provide coverage.
- Customer Complaints are dealt with in a timely and clear manner with clear accountability for any root cause analysis and remedial actions
- Responsible for Validation and Verification of Sanitation Practices.
- Consult with the Process Authority for any Engineering Technical Change Requests or New Product Introductions and for all Food Safety compliance to meet customer safety.
- Oversee facility inspections to ensure the premises, building, and equipment are located, constructed, designed and maintained to facilitate the proper manufacture, handling, storage and delivery of safe food.
- Prepare for all 2nd and 3rd party audits and oversee Corrective Actions.
- Establish and implement all food safety and quality training programs, making sure personnel are adequately equipped to carry out the functions affecting food safety and product legality.
- Set goals and objectives to develop Quality Improvement program for the company.
- Oversee all Quality and Safety of new product introductions and product and/or process changes.
- Manage the food safety, quality and regulatory performance of all third-party manufacturers and services providers and report performance as part of the ongoing FSQR governance plan.
Measures of Performance
- Must demonstrate ability to lead and supervise others.
- Ability to successfully develop and implement a Food Safety, Quality and regulatory vision and strategy plan that meets both Group standards, customer expectations and industry requirement (SQF, HACCP, BRC) certification standards.
- Company meets highest possible standards for all 2nd and 3rd part audits and complies with all state and federal legal requirements
- Must be a self-starter; able to prioritize work assignments and delegate work to subordinates.
Qualifications and Experience
- BS or Master’s required in Food Science, Engineering, Chemistry, Microbiology or related science
- 10 -15 years combined in Corporate Food Safety or Quality Assurance, Plant Quality Assurance and Plant Operations
- Expert knowledge of HACCP, GFSI certification, FSMA and Food Defense in branded food products industry
- Knowledgeable regarding Low Acid Food regulations, food labeling laws, FDA standards, and general food industry requirements. Demonstrable hands on capabilities applying microbiological, thermal processing, sanitation methodology, HACCP and FSMA preventative control program management.
- Comprehensive understanding of plant operations as it relates to food safety and quality with experience in plant quality and food safety management
- Excellent analytical, math, written and oral communications skills.
Travel Requirements: No more than 25% – most of the travel is between locations in NJ, and the 3 New England facilities. There are some trips that would need to be made to co-packers and suppliers. Most of the travel is within the US – but there will be some internationally on an as needed basis.
For more information, please contact:
Tim Healy, Vice President, Resource Executive Search
781-837-0987 / firstname.lastname@example.org