Archive for the ‘Manufacturing Operations’ Category
This position is responsible for supporting the sales team in the areas of customer reporting, forecasting, & promotion analysis. She/he will report sales data for all retail channels from multiple data sources and contribute to the strategic decision making process. Effectiveness in this role requires working very well cross functionally with Sales, Operations, Production Planning, Finance & Customer Service.
1. Analyze the monthly sales forecast and review with each sales manager to insure accuracy, and cross-check with broker forecasting & solve differences with sales managers.
2. Work with Production Planning to make sure product is available to meet customer orders.
3. Work closely with Production Planning to process & fill “urgent sales requests”.
4. In conjunction with Sales Planning & Operations Manager & Customer Service review all inventory shortages & recommend appropriate actions.
5. Assist Finance in setting up pricing lists and discounts for new items and customers.
6. Update the customer address book as needed to insure appropriate reporting structures, commission rates, and accuracy.
- A Bachelor’s degree is required with an MBA strongly preferred.
- 3-5 years analytical experience.
- 3-5 years experience with POS & internal sales reporting systems, such as:
–Syndicated data—Nielsen or IRI
–Retailer POS—Retail Link, Info Retriever/Partners On Line
- Creative problem solving skills required.
- Must have excellent computer skills including Excel & PowerPoint.
- 2+ years in a manufacturing company highly preferred.
For more information contact:
The Boston Beer Challenge:
The Boston Beer Company began in 1984 with a generations-old family recipe that Founder and Brewer Jim Koch uncovered in his father’s attic. Inspired and unafraid to challenge conventional thinking about beer, Jim brought the recipe for this complex, full-flavored beer to life in his kitchen. He aptly named it Samuel Adams Boston Lager®, in recognition of one of our nation’s great founding fathers, a man of independent mind and spirit. The company is the leader of the craft beer industry in terms of size, number of beer styles and FMB (flavor malt beverage) offerings, quality of products, product innovation/creativity, and customer/wholesaler service through the development and launch of the Freshest Beer Program.
The company has grown significantly in the past few years in terms of volume and product complexity. Sales success has been driven by the flagship Samuel Adams Boston Lager and seasonal beers as well as expanded styles like the Brewmaster’s Collection, Small Batch and Barrel Room series. Sizable volume gains have also been accomplished through expansion of the Twisted Tea product line and the outstanding introduction of Angry Orchard hard cider. The company’s challenge is to continue to grow while assuring the production of outstanding quality products and remaining nimble enough to respond to changes in the marketplace. Sustaining the company’s unique culture, which encourages a strong entrepreneurial spirit and high level of engagement of each and every employee, will be essential to meet the challenge.
The Cincinnati Brewery Challenge:
The Cincinnati site is a mid-size brewery in the heart of the city. The brewery structure dates back to the Hudepohl-Schoenling origins from post-depression days. The employee base is established and traditional while the management team is progressive and forward-thinking and demonstrates high potential. The brewery is strategically important to Boston Beer as it possesses unique capabilities to brew smaller brew size specialty beers and to package in unique bottling sizes and forms. Recent capital investments have been focused on improving flexibility, quick changeover technology, and capability to support innovation. Additionally, the brewery supports the Midwest with a full line of Boston Beer products including Boston Lager, seasonal beers, Brewmasters, Twisted Tea, and Angry Orchard.
The Director of Operations – Cincinnati Challenge:
The new brewery leader will be asked to support a continued transition of the Cincinnati brewery work environment to one of high flexibility and high performance. To do so, s/he must be capable of ‘winning the hearts and the minds’ of the employees. This leader must have a demonstrated history of transforming organizations from traditional manufacturing workplaces to environments with highly engaged and motivated employees: a change agent! Secondly, this leader must have demonstrated ability to develop a less-experienced but high potential management group into a high performing team. Every member of this team requires their leader to be a highly effective coach and mentor. This leader must possess advanced teambuilding skills as well. This new leader will have full accountability for Brewing, Packaging, Quality, Finance, Human Resources, Engineering and Maintenance, EHS, Logistics, and Continuous Improvement and will be expected to drive brewery results in a positive, progressive fashion. Lastly, the position is considered a key leadership role that will impact the future of Boston Beer. The leader in the position should possess capabilities and demonstrated potential to perform at higher levels in the organization over time and with experience.
Director Responsibilities / Accountabilities
- Assures safe workplace for all brewery employees and contractors. Maintains safe working conditions and practices to comply with all OSHA regulations while resulting in better than industry norms on TIR.
- Assures strict compliance with all quality standards and SOPs so that only world class products (Samuel Adams beer, Twisted Tea, and Angry Orchard) that meet all quality specifications leave the Brewery.
- Develops and implements appropriate financial controls and operational KPIs so that the Brewery continually ‘meets or beats’ committed results.
- Maintains a High Performance environment where employees feel engaged, motivated, challenged and rewarded for contributing toward and for achieving superior results.
- Strives for world-class Engineering, Brewing, Packaging, Maintenance, Warehousing, EHS, HR and Finance organizations and utilizes ‘best practices’ in each function.
- Champions an assertive Continuous Improvement Program that delivers annual commitments to Delivered Gross Margin program.
- Continually improves customer service metrics to stay at ‘preferred’ supplier status in Beer Industry.
- Assures all regulatory compliance to include TTB, EPA, OSHA, EEO, etc.
- Promotes an open, positive, and progressive work environment. ‘Discusses the Undiscussables’.
- Maintains collaborative relationship with Corporate functions; Engineering, Brewing, Boston Operations, HR, Legal, Finance, Sales, Marketing, etc.
Position Specific Education & Experience
- Bachelor Degree in related field (e.g. Engineering, Supply Chain, Business, etc.) required.
- MBA is preferred.
- 15 years of management progression in a reputable Food/Beverage/Beer company.
- Demonstrated ability to lead performance improvement initiatives in a complex manufacturing environment.
- Working knowledge of, experience developing, and/or experience implementing High Performance Work Systems.
- Brewing Experience is a plus
- High speed bottling experience is a plus
- Non-union and union experience a plus
Ideal Personal Characteristics:
- Strong analytical, numerical and reasoning abilities.
- Participative management style-advocates team concept.
- Able to thrive in a fast paced, ever changing environment.
- Clear, mature communication style and self-manages behavior appropriately.
- Ability to establish credibility and be decisive-but able to recognize and support the company’s overall plan and priorities.
- High level of persistence and endurance. Does not get discouraged and encourages other peers/staff during a crisis or chaotic situation.
- Continuous Improvement is imbedded in his/her thought process.
- Respects & appreciates people, can celebrate the “win” of others.
- High Energy